Search This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Red Bookbag


While I was walking into class last night I was thinking (I think I do that I a little too often these days), but I was thinking about what I must look like walking up to the school building, through the parking lot. Pretty much dressed all in black, head-to-toe, except for my bookbag...it's red. Not my color of choice. I inherited it, it was Mike's bag from college. Shortly after we got married I first "met" this bag. It was in one of those gray storage containers along with all of Mike's other precious belongs...his hackey sack, Alf zippo lighter, an address book from when he was a kid and a few other random things. After he was diagnosed we started using the bag to transport medical records when we went to his appointments, then for overnight stays we brought it to the hospital, you get the drift. So when he died and now that I'm back in classes, I've started using his trusty bookbag. But what got me thinking about all of this today was why red? Mike's favorite color wasn't red. It was blue and a close second would have been green. Knowing him, black would have been his third pick...he was a bit conservative with stuff like that. And I would think any hint of anything that could be affiliated with an Ohio State team, like the color red, he would not only shy away from, but purposely avoid (he was a die-hard ND fan), so there-in lies the question how did he end up with a red bookbag. Then I was thinking, I'll never know. I never thought to ask him when he was alive. Can you believe this is the first time this has happened to me. The first time I realized I don't know the answer to something about Mike and it's about something so silly and I can't ask him to find out. Can't believe I didn't think to ask him when he was alive. I feel like that's exactly one of those silly, doctor-waiting room conversations we would have had. A Seinfeld-esque conversation if you will, made me smile thinking about this. 


p.s. If anyone is wondering I do still have the Alf lighter, it's on a shelf for safe-keeping. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment