Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Do Not Be Afraid

"There are many ways to proclaim Christ, and not only with words. It is not only a matter of speaking or preaching or what is negatively considered 'proselytizing.' Proclaiming Christ includes everything that we do, in word or in deed, to bear witnesses to our faith in him. We proclaim Christ by our way of life. The important point is this: the proclamation of Christ is not an option or an obligation reserved for bishops, priests, deacons, and religious. It is the duty of every believer." ~The Most Reverend José H. Gomez, S.T.D., Archbishop of San Antonio
 
 
During communion today we sang the song, You Are Mine. It is a beautiful and powerful song. (Actually, that song has such a personal connection to me...I used to attend a cancer prayer group when Mike was alive and that was the song we would sing upon gathering). But today it took upon a different meaning it gave hope during a time when so much debate and discussion is geared towards the campaign and defending our Catholic faith, beliefs, life and in essence freedom. Not society's skewed/distorted view of freedom and the sense of entitlement that is abounding. The freedom we can only find through love of God and by doing God's will.

As I was leaving church a parishioner said to me to be certain to get my friends to go and vote. My initial thought was yes, that is important. We all should be taking an active stance and going to vote upon examining our moral conscience in light of the issues and see how the issues align with our Catholic beliefs. But I also thought what more can we do before election day? Why wait? "The Church" is not just the Pope, Bishops, Priests a.k.a. the leaders, but all of us make-up The Church. As Archbishop Jose H. Gomez alluded to above, every believer has a duty and responsibility to her. After the parishioner told me to get my friends to vote she told me she was afraid. I was taken back by her comment because I had the adverse feeling. I felt peaceful and loved at that moment. I felt like through receiving the Eucharist, the words of the liturgy and hymn, God was affirming his love for us.

Here's the chorus:
Do not be afraid, I am with you
I have called you each by name
Come and follow Me
I will bring you home
I love you and you are mine
 
Those words left me feeling hopeful not hopeless. For it may seem dark and it may seem frightening now and it is terrible that there are intrinsic evils that exist in this world. But those things, people, supporters or politicians, the people that oppose my religious beliefs, or curse at me when I am praying outside of an abortion clinic...they are not the source of my love, or my hope or my courage or my joy. Only God is, they can't take it away from me, unless I let them (and I won't)! The spiritual warfare that is going on is much stronger than any political debate right now and good will prevail. We just need to keep doing our part...not waiting for it to happen or for someone else to do something. We are all called and as God commands, do not be afraid.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment