Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Reconciliation

Yesterday I taught PSR and the topic was Reconciliation. I'm only a sub for PSR, but I enjoy this time so much. Any opportunity to teach is hard to pass up, especially teaching about the faith. However, I have to admit, I selfishly feel that I often feel like I'm learning more from these sessions. The priests talked with the children beforehand and held confessions for them. Another instance where I feel priests are so self-giving of their time and gifts of the Holy Spirit. I just thought it was so amazing walking in and seeing three of our parish priests there for the children, what a gift and how self-giving of themselves and their time and talents.

Talking to the kids privately myself before I found they had the much of the "same" feelings that I do and I think other adults probably do before reconciliation. One little girl told me she had butterflies. Another little boy I watched take a couple deep breaths and closed his eyes and prayed before his confession. One boy ran off to the bathroom in haste...I wasn't sure if he was coming back...he was so nervous. (he did). But afterwards, when we got back to the classroom, we debriefed and they all said they felt "relieved" and "good".  We talked further about the sacrament of Reconciliation and how it is actually a sacrament of healing, that's why they felt "good" or "relief" afterwards. They were cleansed of their sins and healed by the grace of God.

Our lesson concluded as we learned about the Saint Maria Goretti. This is a Saint I have never heard of (see what I mean about me learning as well). The story we read was about when Saint Maria was almost 12 years old she was brutally attacked. She was hospitalized afterwards and during this time, until her death soon after, she prayed. However, she prayed not for her health or her own healing, rather she prayed for her attacker and her family. We talked about the power of forgiveness...how good it feels to be forgiven and also how important it is to forgive, but also how difficult it is at times. I shared with them the similar story of Pope John Paul II when he was shot by Mehmet Ali Agca.

In today's Gospel, Luke 10:21 we read;
At that very moment he rejoiced [in] the holy Spirit and said, “I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike.* Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.t

I pray that God may grant me to see things with childlike eyes and to learn to love like him. 

 How (and Why) to Return to Confession 




O sovereign Lord Jesus Christ our God,
who alone has authority to forgive sins,
overlook in your goodness and love
all my offenses whether committed
with knowledge or in ignorance,
and make me worthy to receive
your divine, glorious, spotless,
and life-giving mysteries,
not for punishment,
nor for an increase of sins,
but for purification and sanctification
and as a pledge of the life
and kingdom to come,
as a protection and help,
and for the destruction of enemies,
and for the blotting out
of my many transgressions.
For you are a God of mercy
and compassion and love,
and to you we send up the glory,
with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
now and ever. Amen.
- St. John of Damascus


No comments:

Post a Comment