Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sts. Peter & Paul, 36 and a Sister

Saints Peter and Paul, 36 and sister...what do these three things have in common?? Me for one thing and the place I went today. I went to the church were I was baptized 36 years ago! I drove by this morning to take a sneak peak to see if the church was open no dice, but I got to  drive-by and it's a gorgeous parish. My mother-in-law sent me an email to wish me joy on this special day. My day was off to a great start and full of so many blessings!!  (I have written about my baptism before click here  to read the background story first.

At school this afternoon I saw sister walking through the halls. I told her that today was the day and about my adventure so far and that if it was at all possible maybe I could stop by the church after school. She told me not only to stop by after but she would also give me a tour! No sooner did I pull in the church parking lot did Sister Helene hand me a book about the history of the church, a record and cross that was blessed in Rome! (The crucifix she told me I could keep as a gift to celebrate my special day).  Right away I put it in my pocket and it reminded me of a prayer from when I was young. Cross in my Pocket. 

I carry a cross in my pocket,
A simple reminder to me
That I am a Christian,
No matter where I may be.

This little cross isn’t magic,
Nor is it a good luck charm.
It isn’t meant to protect me
From every physical harm.

It’s not for identification
For all the world to see.
It’s simply an understanding
Between my Savior and me.

When I put my hand in my pocket
To bring out a coin or a key,
The cross is there to remind me
Of the price He paid for me.

It reminds me too, to be thankful
For my blessings every day,
And to strive to serve Him better
In all that I do or say.

It’s also a daily reminder
Of the peace and comfort I share
With all who know my Master
And give themselves to His care.

So, I carry a cross in my pocket
Reminding none but me
That Jesus Christ is Lord of my life,
If only I’ll let Him be.
~written by Vera Mae Thomas



Okay first let me say, what a beautiful church and grounds! And I can't think of what two better Saints for me to have been linked to so earlier on in my life. Saint Peter and Saint Paul have both been influential in my own personal faith journey and conversion. Sister used to live right on site at the convent. She moved in 1976...so a year before I was born and baptized. 

Next year my goal is to actually be able to attend mass on this day, but so grateful for being able to celebrate in this way! God is so good.


Thank you Sister Helene! Thanks Mom & Dad! Thanks be to God! 

(Here's another reflection I wrote about the gift of Baptism).

No comments:

Post a Comment