Search This Blog

Friday, October 4, 2013

St. Therese's Roses

St. Therese of Lisieux could be my namesake saint....born Marie Thérèse (though my parents didn't name me after her or any other saint in particular), they choose my name; Mary Terese because of other reasons. I have just begun reading her autobiography, Story of a Soul and have developed a devotion to this saint that I want to share. This year I set out to do so...true to St. Therese, in "little ways". Here are some of the beautiful things that transpired...

During 7th grade PSR I teach about a saint every week (usually the saint-of-the day or week if there is a particular saint I want to hone-in on and/or introduce to them). This Monday I had a lesson planned with a short movie and activity to introduce them to St. Therese, her "Little Way" and we were going to make sacrifice beads. In the middle of planning my lesson I realized that it would be important to have the beads blessed and that I should contact a priest. The priest that I contacted not only offered to come and bless the beads, but also to stay the duration of the class with us. Having his presence there with us was a wonderful experience. St. Therese often prayed for priests and I just thought this was a special gift to have him present with us that evening, such a witness. He even had a movie prepared to show the children, taught them and engaged them in ways I wouldn't have thought of. As often happens in life, I ended up learning a great deal myself.

During the school day I prepared lessons for my 4th-8th grade computer classes. I had created a guess/check activity with a series of questions that could be answered after viewing a YouTube video by Father James Martin; Who Cares About the Saints; St. Therese of Lisieux. After the video we had a discussion about what we learned. Our discussion opened with why do we learn about the saints and who is called to be saints. This opened up to a whole lot of questions...depending on the age and faith foundation some of the students thought that only REALLY  "holy" people were saints and some said they did not want to be a priest or religious sister so they didn't think they could be a saint. In one class we didn't even get to the movie because we were led down a different path (sorry St. Therese!) but I wanted to meet the kids where they were. A student asked if people become angels when they die? So this totally shifted gears and with the Memorial of the Guardian Angels the next day we spent the lesson learning about the difference between angels and saints!

There is a legend that St. Therese will "give" roses to an individual who prays to St. Therese in answer to their prayers. For St. Therese's dying words were: "I will let fall a shower of roses after my death." I was praying the novena of St. Therese and Wednesday I received...roses...well sort-of. Here are the "roses" I received. I was teaching a 5th grade class about St. Therese. We learned that St. Therese struggled with praying the rosary, and really did not enjoy praying the rosary. We talked about how we can relate this to our own prayer life; if we struggle  in prayer we can ask for St. Therese to intercede on our behalf or look to her example and how she persevered in prayer. I had a student raise her hand and tell me that she did not know how to pray the rosary and that she would like to learn. I told her we could talk after the lesson and I could share resources with her. After the lesson as we were talking privately, another student came up and said she would like to learn too. They asked if I could teach them.  I shared this news with my principal. We decided to offer this opportunity to more students; students in grades 5-8 and make it an after-school prayer club. I spoke to the two girls the next day and they were so excited. We discussed plans for the prayer club...flyers to advertise, possible prayers and activities for the year. Then one of the girls said that she thought it would be a good idea if they started to learn the prayers soon so they could lead the group! Soon meant that day. :) I looked at my teaching schedule...I only had one break and offered it up as my "little way". Sure enough the girls came and we prayed. It was a beautiful way to spend my break.  Though not actual roses...but the rosary itself was my "rose" from St. Therese and the roses will only continue to bloom and blossom once the prayer club begins and more children are learning to pray the rosary. St. Therese of Lisieux pray for us!



God our Father, You destined Your Kingdom for Your children who are humble. 
Help us to imitate the way of St. Therese, so that, by her intercession, 
we may attain the eternal glory which You promised. 
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment