Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Rethinking Alms

Every year during the Lenten season we are reminded to pray, fast and give alms. During this past Fortnight for Freedom we were called to do so as well. Everyday can provide such opportunities though...not just reserved for specific times of the year.
It's helpful to know exactly what we are doing when we "give alms". I always thought I knew what that meant, doing something good or nice for somebody else out of charity (i.e. love of God). I thought donating my time or money to a nonprofit, or giving of my time by volunteering was suffice and well I guess that counts, I learned more about almsdeeds last night that'll help me rethink and stretch myself in this act.

Alms are referred to as "works of mercy" and there are actually corporal and spiritual works of mercy. (Seven of each)! The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches;

2447 The works of mercy are charitable actions by which we come to the aid of our neighbor in his spiritual and bodily necessities.242 Instructing, advising, consoling, comforting are spiritual works of mercy, as are forgiving and bearing wrongs patiently. The corporal works of mercy consist especially in feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and imprisoned, and burying the dead.243 Among all these, giving alms to the poor is one of the chief witnesses to fraternal charity: it is also a work of justice pleasing to God:244 (1460, 1038, 1969, 1004)



For it is in giving that we receive.
-Francis of Assisi

No comments:

Post a Comment