Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Wake-up!

Not having a homeroom I do not have my own class to sit by during weekly mass so I usually scatter around and sit by different grades/students each week. This is usually quite interesting and enjoyable. The students at school are reverent and well behaved. Before mass today a teacher asked if I would sit by a particular student who sometimes has a tough time paying attention. So I took my assigned spot in church and all started out well until I noticed him nodding off. I gently woke him the first time and he politely told me he was up late and tired. Then it happened again and I tried to give him some pointers like move your legs, keep tapping your feet, move something...just stay awake! I felt bad for him because he wasn't being disruptive during this mass, he was just sleepy. After the third time I was trying to think of what else I could do to help him...and then it struck me...my rosary! I pulled out my rosary and handed it to him quietly and just as I was ready to say a Hail Mary and pray for some divine assistance, he blurted out, "You made this?" with such enthusiasm and excitement in his voice (a bit louder than I would have preferred) I thought the plan was going to totally backfire. But instead a simple "no" to his question and instructions to hold the rosary, or pray was suffice. I prayed a silent prayer myself  and asked Mother Mary to please keep this student awake (and quiet :).
The rest of mass went well. He held on to the rosary the whole mass and I even heard him participating a little with some of the prayers. He gave it back to me at the end of mass and said he felt better.


"In dangers, in doubts, in difficulties, think of Mary, call upon Mary. Don't let her name depart from your lips; never allow it to leave your heart. And that you may more surely obtain the assistance of her prayer, don't neglect to walk in her footsteps."
~St. Bernard of Clairvaux

No comments:

Post a Comment