Search This Blog

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Fork in the Road

" When you come to a fork in the road....Take it " ~Yogi Berra


Every once in a while I think about this quote sometimes on my own or a good friend of mine (roommate, colleague) , we'll often quote it to one another. A priest once made reference to it during a homily at mass we attended together and the quote just stuck with us. So yesterday I was sitting outside and this quote popped back in my head and I was thinking about the fork in the road and what does it mean to just "take it". Sounds easy enough, but how do you know which fork to take? What I started to think about is when I first heard this months ago I imagined a fork in the road to look like this: 




And I think that is what confused me. So in essence you are traveling down a road (life) and come across two similar paths (decisions) and have two choices presenting themselves and have to make a decision...you need to choose one or the other to continue on  the journey. (Kind of like the Robert Frost poem, The Road Not Taken).

But yesterday, the fork I began to envision looked different. It started to look like this:


This pictorial representation started to make more sense to me than when I initially visualized the "fork in the road". This image in my mind was different; it represented the fork as more of a splintering off of the path already being traveled vs. an either/or gotta choose one. With this image the traveler would still have a decisions to make, because you can choose to stay on the path you are on in life or take the fork (perhaps the road not taken or the narrow way...so many other references can be made here). 


How would you know if you should "take the fork"? Taking time for prayer (especially before the Blessed Sacrament). Both paths may be inherently "good" but which will be the most freeing and bring the most joy? Which will lead you to holiness?



Prayer of St Columba
Be, Lord Jesus, a bright flame before me,
a guiding star above me,
a smooth path below me,
a kindly shepherd behind me:
today, tonight, and forever


*I apologize for my elementary graphics, I drew them fast...but they did get the point across...I think?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment